The To-Do List: Blackbird Vintage Finds


Since I've worked at Blackbird Vintage Finds the last three years and have a close relationship with it and the owner, Paula, I thought it would be the perfect spot to kick off my "To-Do List" series!

Blackbird is a tiny, cosy vintage shop located on the main stretch in the Distillery District. The shop itself is as antique as its contents, having been a storage space back in the day, when the Gooderham & Worts distillery was still in operation. Step inside and after getting over the initial shock at how small the space is, you'll swoon over the magical vibe and beautiful wares, which are half vintage treasures and half artisan things. 

My pay cheques usually wind up back in the till here since every shift I can't stop myself from loading up on the latest treasures Paula's brought in. I swear, my apartment is slowly becoming a replica of the store. 



{ IN A NUTSHELL... }

THEY'RE KNOWN FOR: unique and beautiful gifts, soaps, candles and other treasures for the home.
LEAVE HERE: as the best gift-giver ever, and totally inspired to make a vintage heaven out of your apartment.
BE SURE TO TAKE HOME: one of the Formulary 55 soaps (my favourite is La Nuit), a candle by Linnea's Lights (I love "Cashmere"), a piece or set of antique dish ware (Paula recently brought in a gorgeous set of pale green cups and saucers that are just... *sigh*) or a conversation-sparking trinket from the cabinet of vintage finds in the back corner. 
THE PRICE POINT: standard for the quality and character of the items. Especially when you consider the work Paula goes through to curate them (she drives to the U.S. border on a regular basis to pick up imported items herself).

{ Q&A WITH OWNER PAULA DiRENZO }

I know Blackbird isn't your first store. Can you tell me about your journey to where you are today?

My journey I suppose began as a child when my mother would take me to garage sales and church bazaars... it fueled my excitement to look for treasures and special hidden curiosities.  I also spent some time with an elderly neighbour whose home decor was frozen in time... like time stopped in 1920.  It was like a movie set from the old reruns I used to watch.  Sometimes she would show me boxes of long kidskin leather gloves and old irons that had to be heated on her coal burning stove.  I had always had a penchant for old houses and grew up in an old three-storey in midtown.  As an adult,  I would ritually buy Victoria magazine as it would feature beautiful places to visit, antiquing and feature female entrepreneurs.  I coveted those who graced its pages.  One day I thought maybe it could be me.  I opened my first shop in 2001 despite never working a day in retail and have never looked back.  

What was your initial vision for Blackbird, and would you say that's evolved at all over the years or stayed consistent?

My initial vision for Blackbird was to be the antithesis of my French Antique Shop on Avenue Road.  I wanted something fun and easy and whimsical.  I still strive to bring amazing, well-packaged products mixed with vintage items to my clients, but the items I choose for Blackbird are less serious, less French. More dark, less white. More dramatic, less frou frou.  

People literally line up to get into your shop, and you've been told many times by visitors that Blackbird is the best store in the Distillery District. What about Blackbird do you think draws people in?

I think the exposed brick walls, low lighting, vintage signage and eclectic mix of amazing goods all evoke a curiosity that draw in the general public.  It’s a well curated mix and people want to know what’s going on in the space... they want to be a part of it... maybe take some part of it home with them.

You've curated a balance of vintage and artisan items for sale. Can you name one or two of your favourite (a) vintage items and (b) artisan items that you currently have in-store?

My favourite items both vintage and new are constantly changing as I am always on the hunt for more curious and unique goods.  A lot of the vintage items I have loved have moved on to grace the homes of people who loved them as much as I did.  I’ve had to learn to let go and restart the hunt over and over.  Unfortunately, I’m still a bit of a hoarder as a lot of the rare items never make it to the shop... can’t bear to part with them.

You sometimes travel to source vintage treasures. What's your favourite place to explore the antique scene?

Europe is definitely my favourite place to source more vintage because they have a lot more of what really gets me excited.  I think Europeans have always pushed beyond the limits of antique decor and you can always find things you’ve never seen before.  Also, I can find much older items that I can’t in North America.

What are your hopes and plans for Blackbird over the next year?

My hope for 2018 is just to be able to continue exploring the world for more cool items.  Vintage buying and curating is what it’s all about.


A post shared by Amanda Storey (@amanda.storey) on

Comments

Popular Posts